Glottis with his fellow mechanic demons
|Location||Land of the Dead|
Elementals, typically referred to as demons because of their terrifying appearance, are single-minded land-spirits that have been summoned from the Land of the Dead to serve a single purpose. The purpose they are given is the one thing that brings them happiness, and if they go for too long without fulfilling it, they become weak and deathly ill, as seen in Year Four when Glottis has to be revived by the speed of a rocket-powered cart after travelling for a year without driving. Elementals are typically much larger than normal people, have unusual colors, exaggerated strange features, and often deep voices. Possessing great skill to do their jobs, they are seen employed as servants of various establishments.
The Department of Death requires these elementals to drive the cars of the travel agents working there, to the Land of the Living and back, since they fear that the agents would go rogue and use the cars to drive themselves to the Ninth Underworld.
Elementals are seen or mentioned in Grim Fandango:
- Manny Calavera's driver, he is unnamed and he isn't seen, because Domino Hurley gave him a leave, so as to get all work for himself.
- Glottis, a speed-loving driving and mechanic demon working in the garage of the Department of Death, and Manny hires him as a replacement to his driver.
- Juan Brennis, summoned to work the elevators at the D.O.D. (but forced to work as a tube-switcher once motion sensors were installed)
- Aitor, a drowsy cask demon working in the pantry at Maximino's High Rollers Lounge.
- The Mayan Mechanics are a group of small mechanic demons resembling Glottis are also seen near at the temple of the Ninth Underworld, who revere Glottis as a godlike figure. They help to revive him, although they are not given names.